BBC report on vinyl

For Vinyl and Record lovers: turntables, cartridges, etc.

Moderator: dante

Re: BBC report on vinyl

Postby marbinism » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:26 pm

Long Live Vinyl :D
marbinism
Citizen
Citizen

Postby noblewolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:17 am

i never thought na magkaka-interes ako sa vinyl paglaki ko... nakakaiyak!

my father used to have a turntable, NATIONAL ang brand, yung parang kabaong. his best buddy, bro-in-law, had one too! their combined collections of vinyls amounts to several hundreds of records back in 80's, my uncle even had the plenty of beatles, bee gees, humperdinck, tom jones, elton john etc etc.. which were all ignored after the introduction of cassette tapes and later on... cd's.

i can still remember back in the days, palayuan ng hagis ng vinyls kaming magpipinsan, magsunog ng vinyls under the mango trees and watch those chickens na walang kamalay malay babagsak sa lupa.

...gusto ko iuntog ulo ko sa pader pag naaalala ko yun. :(
noblewolf

Postby endrik35 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:49 am

noblewolf wrote:i never thought na magkaka-interes ako sa vinyl paglaki ko... nakakaiyak!

my father used to have a turntable, NATIONAL ang brand, yung parang kabaong. his best buddy, bro-in-law, had one too! their combined collections of vinyls amounts to several hundreds of records back in 80's, my uncle even had the plenty of beatles, bee gees, humperdinck, tom jones, elton john etc etc.. which were all ignored after the introduction of cassette tapes and later on... cd's.

i can still remember back in the days, palayuan ng hagis ng vinyls kaming magpipinsan, magsunog ng vinyls under the mango trees and watch those chickens na walang kamalay malay babagsak sa lupa.

...gusto ko iuntog ulo ko sa pader pag naaalala ko yun. :(

Yup! Ganyan talaga ang bata. . .Used to make frisbee's out of 45's when I was a kid. Kung alam ko lang na ginto pala someday yung mga inihagis ko. . . :(
endrik35
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby joejet » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:32 am

Just wanna share a bit of similar experience. Back in '78 or '79 We had this AKAI receiver comboed with a simple Turntable (AKAI din). I was then an elementary student with really ravishing taste for oldies music especially the BEATLES. I went on to collect VINYL albums and those little 45s that numbered to about a thousand albums and several 45s. My parents wondered why the heck this boy is so hooked in vinyls when cassette tapes were already in abundance and available in every corner. I didn't even know the term AUDIOPHILE then. I just knew I love the sound of VINYL than the cassette magnetic tapes. And there were times I would rip the songs i liked most from my albums to cassette tapes for playback convenience. During this time the vinyls had already dipped into oblivion. I never liked those commercially available cassette albums as they sounded uninvolving to me and oftentimes veiled. Most of my listening days then were spent on vinyl spinning and playback of ripped musics to cassette. Then came the radically convenient digital CDs. I was hooked with CDs mainly for convinience and easy playback. Perhaps I got tired of those rituals on turntable that I turned to CD. My albums were eventually confined in boxes and later on -- the saddest part-- I gave them all away to an old neighbor. Those are treasures. I never had a turntable since that AKAI. I'm still using CDs as my medium. But boy! I'd do almost anything to have those vinyls back. My old neighbor died about 3 years ago and when I asked the sons whatever happened to those vinyls i gave to their pop, they said it was sold to somebody about 4 years after I had given it to him. I never thought a Great VINYL Renaissance would happen. And even if it didn't, We know vinyl is still unbeatable when it comes to music reproduction. Despicable me....
joejet
Citizen
Citizen

Postby dafos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:58 pm

Joejet we too had an akai console but was fitted with a dual turntable. I even remember the akai deck model, gxc46d, but like you I was never content with cassette copies which were always veiled. Also, the Dolby b hiss reduction system of the deck never worked properly, causing regular dropouts to the recorded material. Recorded material actually came to about 80-85% of the vinyl using expensive metal tape and later the even more pricey TDK's Super Avilyn cassettes. Compared to the price of cdr's these premium blank cassettes cost a huge fortune! Commercially released cassettes were never acceptable. And just like you when cd's became regularly available locally sometime '86 I slowly unloaded my vinyls but at least I sold rather than give them away!
dafos
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Mamimili » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:35 pm

I once sold a 45, i still regret it. I will never ever ever sell any more of my precious treasures :(

I also regret not purchasing my parents house (i was in Manila peeing my money away, young free and single) because if i had i would still own their console, i cannot remember the brand but it was a huge ebony affair with a deep mirror shine, the like of which i have not seen again. I was not allowed to touch the tone arm, and would gaze in wonder at the magic eye of the tape deck section.......
Mamimili
Master
Master

Postby ispenitram » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:56 pm

ispenitram
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to Analog