whats a good ipod headphone?

iPod, walkman, headphones, earphones, boomboxes, etc...

Moderator: dogears

Postby detubo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:14 am

rtsyrtsy wrote:Breaking in an E4c now. A PX100 is in my wife's maleta--pang work-out. :D

For comfort the Shure can't hold a candle to both my HD495 and HD600. But for sound isolation, walastik!

Some quibbles...I can hear myself breathe, I can hear my muscles and bones as they strike the keyboard, this will take a bit more getting used to. I don't like to think what it would feel / sound like if I sneeze, cough, or a-hem, give into a little flatulence.

The various flanges that come with the unit...ang lalaki! Siguro mga elepante yung sinukatan ng Shure when they spec'ed these. Ni ayaw pumasok sa tenga ko...virgin kasi sa IEMs. :D

Haven't tried it with my headphone amp though...so far, puro Creative MuVo at PC lang.

Gau Ban,

Yung Ety...totoo ba yung sobrang sensitive yung cables...ma-rub lang daw sa tela ng damit mo, madidinigmo yung static.

What do you folks use to rip?

I just downloaded and (incompletely) configured EAC...di pa ako nag-pipick-up ng track info from online databases. I'll be keeping WAV for now for the hard drive and compressing using LAME for the MP3 player. I've also downloaded Monkey Audio but I'm reading FLAC is the best lossless compressor.

Am I doing this right? Any pointers would help greatly. Cheers!

how would you describe the sound of the e4 compared to say stock ear plugs of the ipod. super layo ba?
detubo
Master
Master

Postby hypertriode » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:34 am

i bought Sennheiser MX-350 earphones for my son's Ipod. he was shocked to find to find the new ones a lot better than the stock earphones. his comments - clearer, louder and a lot bassier! all these for less than P600 at Spectra (black tho) :)
hypertriode
Grand Master

Postby dogears » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:43 am

sirs detubo/rene, sabi nga nila... 'crap' talaga ang earphones ng i-pod :D
dogears
Master
Master

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:14 pm

detubo

The only Apple we have is a Shuffle which is officially my daughter's. She's in Manila now. But when she gets back here, I'll definitely give it a try and let you know the diff.

But vs. the stock Creative earphones, which is reputedly amongst the best that comes with the box of any portable audio player, there's no turning back.
rtsyrtsy

Postby dogears » Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:59 pm

rtsy, yes - the creative earphones are unexpectedly very good for a stock... would you know which company makes the earphones for creative? - i.e. kung hindi nila sariling gawa :P :)
dogears
Master
Master

Postby JackD201 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:21 pm

Tonyboy, I'm a Mac fanatic but I must say the iPod earphones are the crappiest earphones I've ever come across. Tunog mobile na pang fiesta. They were easily outshined by the Sony earphones i bought at O music store many years ago. The one with the case that winds up the cable. Those in turn were slapped silly by my lowly Shure e3c's. The only problems with Shures or any in-ear monitor for that matter is as russ says, hearing your internal organs :lol: and getting the precise fit. You learn to block out your bodily noises over time and thanks to Dante, who gave me the yellow memory plugs the fit is now perfect.

While travelling in-ears have saved my eardrums too. by blocking out the surrounding noise I set my volume at least 30% lower than I would with earphones and about 20% lower than when using closed back cans.
JackD201
Immortal

Postby dogears » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:12 pm

JackD201 wrote:Tonyboy, I'm a Mac fanatic but I must say the iPod earphones are the crappiest earphones I've ever come across.

'modest' pa pala ako :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby rtsyrtsy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:20 pm

JackD201,

I wanted the E3C, given the high likelihood I'd misplace any IEM. But the way they priced in Dubai, E3C more expensive than US + overnight shipping, E4C is same price + shipping, E5C is cheaper. I figure the twin drivers on the E5C can't possibly be driven well by a single triple A powered device.

That yellow memory plugs...do you mean the yellow foam thingys that come with the Shures or something else?

Has anyone here visited their audiologist for a custome flange?
rtsyrtsy

Postby detubo » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:28 pm

JackD201 wrote:Tonyboy, I'm a Mac fanatic but I must say the iPod earphones are the crappiest earphones I've ever come across. Tunog mobile na pang fiesta. They were easily outshined by the Sony earphones i bought at O music store many years ago. The one with the case that winds up the cable. Those in turn were slapped silly by my lowly Shure e3c's. The only problems with Shures or any in-ear monitor for that matter is as russ says, hearing your internal organs :lol: and getting the precise fit. You learn to block out your bodily noises over time and thanks to Dante, who gave me the yellow memory plugs the fit is now perfect.

While travelling in-ears have saved my eardrums too. by blocking out the surrounding noise I set my volume at least 30% lower than I would with earphones and about 20% lower than when using closed back cans.

thanks for the feedback. i noticed with headphones na pang mobile that the first thing that goes are the wiring between the phones and the cable. is it the same with iem's? are they much more delicate?
detubo
Master
Master

Postby minicooper » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:17 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:JackD201,

I wanted the E3C, given the high likelihood I'd misplace any IEM. But the way they priced in Dubai, E3C more expensive than US + overnight shipping, E4C is same price + shipping, E5C is cheaper. I figure the twin drivers on the E5C can't possibly be driven well by a single triple A powered device.

That yellow memory plugs...do you mean the yellow foam thingys that come with the Shures or something else?

Has anyone here visited their audiologist for a custome flange?

hi rtsyrtsy, i have the E3C and totally love it. It takes awhile for the drivers to break-in. Give it a little more time and you will like it. Isolation is perfect for those long flights.

I don't use it when bike riding or for your daily commutes as it can be very dangerous. Outside noise is muted and the sound that your body generates from walking and breathing just gets in the way.

enjoy :-)
minicooper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:50 am

minicooper,

whenever i'm out on meetings, the E4C get a continuous dose of a burn-in track. >:)

aling flange yung ginamit mo? the only thing that fits me is the smallest rubber...flange ha...

IEMs are actually dangerous even when you're just sitting on your desk. This morning, I was stretching my back, looked up and saw my boss yelling...note, saw, not heard him yell. He was trying to call me from a cross the room and had to walk to my desk. :D
rtsyrtsy

Postby dogears » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:59 am

rtsy, they should give you a "pat on the back" instead :lol:
dogears
Master
Master

Postby Newbie » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:39 am

Anybody tried philips?
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:02 am

tried a few philips earbuds [forgot the models], and i didn't like any of them. a full-sized philips headphone, the hp 890 is good, though.
onedown
Master
Master

Postby CCC » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:09 pm

JackD201 wrote:Shure e3c's. X X X yellow memory plugs the fit is now perfect.

This is such a convincing argument for in-ear plugs. My ear doctor has just recently affirmed that hearing loss does not usually arise due to 1 "big bang". More often, it is through long term exposure to "loud" sounds.

Thus, are the Shure's / yellow memory foams available here in Manila?
CCC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby minicooper » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:02 pm

rtsyrtsy wrote:minicooper,

whenever i'm out on meetings, the E4C get a continuous dose of a burn-in track. >:)

aling flange yung ginamit mo? the only thing that fits me is the smallest rubber...flange ha...

IEMs are actually dangerous even when you're just sitting on your desk. This morning, I was stretching my back, looked up and saw my boss yelling...note, saw, not heard him yell. He was trying to call me from a cross the room and had to walk to my desk. :D

i am also using the smallest rubber flange. sobrang laki nung iba eh. That is also the reason why I try not to use it at work. baka ma trigger ang fire alarm at hindi ko marinig. :lol:
Last edited by minicooper on Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minicooper
Citizen
Citizen

Postby JackD201 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:03 pm

I'm really not sure CCC. Dante ordered a whole lot of them and was kind enough to give me two pairs because i told him i lost the fit kit that came with my e3c's. One pair comes free in the fit kit though and as long as the user doesn't have "luga" they should last a long time. :lol:
JackD201
Immortal

Postby CCC » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:55 pm

Thanks.
CCC
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Newbie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:45 am

Peeps,

Has anyone tried the e2c? How is it compared to the e3c. Checked the online prices and the e2c is like $99 while the e3c is $180. I use a nano lang so baka mas mahal pa yun sa ipod ko hehehe.

Any other brands of in-ear earphones you can reco?
Citizen
Citizen

Postby onedown » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:05 pm

haven't tried the e3c, but positioned properly, the e2c sounds good.
onedown
Master
Master

PreviousNext

Return to Head-Fi