FAKE TUBES ALERT!

(combined Hardware and Tubes forum). For regular members only with minimum 50 posts. Please read Guidelines before posting

Moderator: dante

Re: FAKE TUBES ALERT!

Postby pigdog » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:03 pm

amandarae wrote:
vintage_dog wrote:Be warned:

There are fake or rebranded NOS tubes out there!

I recently came across a "NOS Mullard 6SN7" in Mullard boxes with white printing of Mullard on the glass. "Made in USA"! Mullards are made in the UK, not USA!

These are actually Russian 6SN7s. If you want them, you may pay pesos 500/pair.

Yep! Because Mullard never made a 6SN7, ever!

actually mullard did and it is referred to as the cv1988 and they did made a very limited supply of 6sn7 and theses are rare, however if one is looking for mullard's 6sn7 types best to go for the cv1988 or if one has the dosh, the ECC33 and ECC32 which mullard did make, consequently cv1988 is also made by STC and Brimar. the later brown base ones from the 70's in military boxes are from Brimar. they also come in two designations GT (black base) and GTY most of the cv1988 i have seen are smoked glass for military applications. these are very nice quality if not one of the best 6sn7 type valves available and still plenty of them are around.
i have a few of these in my collection including some very old ones and even a clear bottle one from the 50's in fact i got a pair on my LEAK TL10.1 playing at this very moment 8)
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby egay » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:30 am

this is a very interesting read for a novice bottlehead like me; and i supposed it's gonna take years before i learned how to recognize 'the real deal' from 'posers' or fakes :shock:

i am almost irritated at first when NAMES weren't mentioned, but thanks to a buddy for 'encouraging' to name these B--T---S! now i know who to avoid (as if i know what kind of tubes to buy :oops: )... maybe i can go to their shops and look them straight in the eye and feel the negative vibes if i can... muntik na akong bumili ng tubo sa HK, buti nalang hindi ko alam kung anong bibilhin ko :P

learning from these gentlemen's experiences - i would rather ask a trusted WS-tuby to help me source my tubes or get these from them... i have enough trust for fellow-WS buddies that i am willing to do this.

borrowing from Bomalabs' sayings:
"Mabuhay and mga WS-members!... pero di lahat"

.e.
8)
egay
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby vintage_dog » Wed May 30, 2007 10:22 am

this serves as a reminder to all tube sellers.

deliberate mis-representation of tubes or selling of fakes is ground for revocation of your membership at wiredstate.
vintage_dog
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pigdog » Wed May 30, 2007 11:29 am

knowledge and information is one's best defense against being conned. my advise is if you are being asked to pay an exhorbitant amount of money for a transaction online, then be very careful and do your homework. as an ebay buyer and seller, i have had my share of being conned, at least it has only happened twice in 8 years, not bad though... but does not mean one should let off one's guard..
pigdog
Master
Master

Postby jomar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:08 pm

Sorry to dig this old thread. I am on a hunt of NOS preamp tubes on ebay or just on local purchase sold by some " audiofools ".

From what i know ( pls correct me if I'm wrong ) .. NOS tubes have printings na parang "chalk " ang ginamit, madaling mabura . Some also use very thin layer of "paint " like the RCAs .

Is there any other way to identify Original NOS tubes ? Am i right to say that if i see a tube with a "thick" paint marking.. yong tipong perfect/complete letterings to be FAKE NOS tubes ?
jomar
Citizen
Citizen

Postby quezon hill » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:51 pm

thanks for the info
quezon hill
Citizen
Citizen

Postby juric » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:47 am

i was tube hunting on ebay and saw some of the names mentioned i even checked this website out http://www.wiwitubes.com/ :cry:

now im lost if ill buy on-line on e-bay or not.

has anyone bought from this seller jspht8338 ? he sells pretty reasonably quad tubes.

thanks!
juric
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BAMF » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:29 pm

I'm interested in buying Chinese tubes.

Where'd I go ?

I got a pair from audiophile...a matched 6550 made in china for 1k but that was the last one. And I'm going to need more...specially 6ca7's, or KT88's.

I'd like to build a matched quad guitar amp of KT88's. Cheap tubes are my alley right now.
BAMF

Postby Jon Agner » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:38 pm

BAMF wrote:I'm interested in buying Chinese tubes.

Where'd I go ?

I got a pair from audiophile...a matched 6550 made in china for 1k but that was the last one. And I'm going to need more...specially 6ca7's, or KT88's.

I'd like to build a matched quad guitar amp of KT88's. Cheap tubes are my alley right now.

Kinetic Tech (Robinsons Pioneer) has KT-88s. Check also with Hypertriode if he still has a few in stash. A number of members here let go of their spare tubes from time to time :wink:
Jon Agner
Legend
Legend

Postby juric » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:52 am

kinetic does sell tubes, chinese or branded. here's their number Call 7103432..
juric
Citizen
Citizen

Postby BAMF » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:54 am

Thanks so much ill give them a call.
BAMF

Postby mikkolopez » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:05 pm

ingat na lang mga bro kasi nagkalat nga sila. wala pa naman akong experience sa tubes so mag-ingat na rin ako
mikkolopez
Citizen
Citizen

Postby jon_p » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:49 am

Thanks for putting up this thread...since we should be worried about purchasing the wrong/fake tubes, may i ask if there are recommended shops where we can buy?
jon_p
Citizen
Citizen

Previous

Return to MARKETPLACE - Audio Hardware