The Good, the Batt and the Ugly

Moderator: ttommy

The Good, the Batt and the Ugly

Postby ttommy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 pm

Please whistle the first bar for me-- owweh owweh ohhh-- right now, and kindly punctuate with the rest of the theme through each twist and turn. Up ahead we have a shootout casualty-- wow wow wah-- and watch closely as we stack the digital deck.

Most my friends would agree that, relatively speaking, digital is the weaker side in my rig. And I'd be quick to admit-- done on purpose, otherwise, I see no reason to have gone into this hobby and would have happily remained on the pro-audio side of the fence. Needless to say, while playing CDs, it always feel like I'm just giving analog a rest although, not too often, my condition is such that I don't trust myself operating any piece of machinery more complicated than a flushing lever :lol:

My digital setup hasn't changed in years-- CEC TL1 transport feeding a Museatex Bidat DAC, this product developed by one Ed Meitner during the '90s retains a singular distinction-- it's perhaps the only digital component that has doubled in price since it went out of production! If you're wondering whether that's an aberration, owweh owweh oh, it surely is!

The Good. The Bidat's strength is simply that it behaves like both an oversampling and non-oversampling DAC going through an incoming signal. Click here for an excellent discussion on sampling and notice how the Bidat worked its way into that discussion. While I had been a fan of non-os dacs early in this hobby, and had owned a battery-powered Ack, since switching to this stock Meitner I had stayed put, promising myself that I'll send this DAC in for upgrading to super-Bidat status "sometime".

Then there were challengers, good ones too-- Naim CDX2 and Talk Thunder CD players, some DACs-- dAck v2, Hagtech Chime and the Citipulse. I knew the time had come for a Bidat upgrade but, in the meantime, what to use?

As a fan of the Ack dAck, it was easy for me to drink the battery-powered Kool Aid, word was there's this DAC, the Altmann Attraction that's so good but, well, unusual. This reviewer went as far as saying it's the best cost-no-object, if only one can bear to live with...

The Batt(ery). Optima Red Top, Model 34, as prescribed by the manufacturer. Now we're to add "charge discipline" onto our list of maintenance duties and, very slightly, I cringe.

And then, one would think that a product called Attraction would look, well, attractive. Opening this package, I couldn't help but think of the next agon schmuck who's gonna have to convince himself it's worthwhile living with car parts and driftwood, I wasn't a happy camper, in fact, I was already in remorse.

The Ugly. I'm not an engineer and seeing these "parts" doesn't excite me so, whatever the "Attraction," heh heh, it certainly isn't visual. Now, let's see how this bad boy stacks up--

Moments after being fed by the CEC, I felt the first pang of pain, and it's a bad one. The sound is just the same ballpark as the Bidat. We could split hairs, nothing major league, while the friggin' plank had better dynamics and low-level treble resolution due to a much lower noise-floor, the Bidat was more rhythmic and sounded more continuous. The Attraction sounded like a good non-os DAC and that's all she wrote. A couple tracks later I stop, a cocoon of disappointment wrapping over migraine, and consoled myself in not having punched holes through this wooden Nordost QF box to hide this... this...

The next day I emailed the seller (he had bought this DAC just a few weeks before) but at a deeper level, I must've been looking for someone to share misery. Half-talking to myself I told the seller I'm gonna try one last thing, and run the Altmann upsampled.

Now, let me backtrack a bit and tell you how much I hate upsampling. While I believe upsampling creates an impression of "more resolution", everytime I hear an upsampling player I also can't help feeling that the sound is "mabalahibo" (hirsute, if you will). Especially noticeable in steel string guitar, that "balahibo" somehow makes a guitar's body sound less woody and more "fiberglass" or composite. I believe it was HP who, in comparing solid-state with tubes, recently wrote-- "solid-state appears to modulate noise as part of the signal unlike tubes where noise is more like 'dirt on a windshield'" (or something to that effect).

For me, upsampled noise is an artifact that I dislike especially when it's referred to as "more air". So sorry, upsampling fans, I'd agree it's "air" if it's imprint (ringing) wasn't also noticeable down below. Call it the Nykvist power demon.

But then my back's to the wall so I dig out my old RME/Nuendo Multiset soundcard, hook it up to the Dell notebook in the bedroom, then ran a 30ft optical toslink (yeah, yeah, but this Altmann's got Jisco) to the DAC in the living room, kicked off foobar upsampled to 96khz (the Attraction can handle up to 192khz sampling rate input) then stepped into my living room and saw Lorca's duende neatly wrapped up in a carpet burrito.

Pardon the incoherence, that happens from time to time when I get frothy at the mouth, but there it was, duende in a burrito :)

The fun doesn't really start until 96khz on the Altmann, then you start feeling the "crave," not unlike a dCS stacker, wanting more of that friggin' master tape. But foobar and my Nuendo card can only do 96khz. Still, it is the best digital sound I have ever heard, bar none, on my rig, as well as extrapolated onto others. Revelatory isn't a word I've used only because I'm very suspicious of those who heave all these platitudes only to hear a something betterer and bestestest a few months down the road. But let me stake my cred here, this DAC is revelatory. So much so, I've decided the Bidat won't need beauty school anymore, so goes the CEC.

TV on my bedroom and a wireless-assembled playlist, I close the door and see the Yorke shiver, this DAC has a sound after all, but it's a sound I won't describe until I'm done frothing at the mouth. I'm truly sorry, fellow pinoydiophiles, but I don't trust myself (or other reviewers) in this state, and don't want to spout all "pros" about how this product sounds without being able to go into "cons". There has to be a weakness, dammit!

In the meantime, let me divert your attention, wow wow wah, with uglydac's prettier, Teutonic sister. Since my Tron phono, Dyna arm and cart will be making its way to RMAF without me, I thought it would be nice to have a battery companion for the Altmann. Enter Trigon.

Just received a few hours ago, this Trigon Advance phono is capable of running on battery power for ~6 hours. Set to 60dB gain through dip switches on its underbelly, immediately I notice this phono still sounds like its breaking-in despite its previous (original) owner having used it for 5 months. Although the promise is there, I predict it won't be anywhere as special as the Altmann. Having said that, the deck is favoring digital now and I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable :lol:

That's it folks, thanks for reading!

Last edited by ttommy on Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby yucca » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:49 pm

Hi ttommy,

Dick Olsher like that DAC so much that it trounces the Scott Nixon audio tube DAC+, 47 Labs 4715 DAC and the Audio Note VK DAI 1.1X/II Sig. I believe the board is treated with special lacquer just like C37. BYOB / MOTHER OF TONE RULES!

:)
yucca
Citizen
Citizen

Postby troporobo » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:04 am

Great article ttommy!!! Thanks for sharing
troporobo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby mcrespo » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:04 pm

I've been waiting for this review, Ttommy. Man, it is truly ugly, but your description makes it so very enticing. Nice find! So is the Bidat and CEC finally biting the dust? If that's true, it's like the end of an era.
mcrespo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:52 pm

There really is something with this battery power, huh?

My best bang for buck "upgrade" was dedicated power lines for my system back in Manila.

I had a good discussion w/ joe3rp last time I was there and several chats w/ ArnoldC on the importance of a good power supply.

There is a sense of silence and cleanliness listening to my Red Wine Audio modified Slim Devices Squeezebox or even my MP3 players.
rtsyrtsy

Postby ttommy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks troporobo and yucca!

Man, it is truly ugly, but your description makes it so very enticing.

Mawê (my vinyl-snob cousin), after hearing the Altmann today proclaimed it the best upgrade he's ever heard in my system. Perhaps it was just the immediate shock factor but I'm not sure whether I should be totally flattered with that remark :lol:

Nice find! So is the Bidat and CEC finally biting the dust? If that's true, it's like the end of an era.

I'm thinking of keeping the CEC in case I find an outboard 192khz upsampler (that's not too expensive).

There really is something with this battery power, huh?

I say it depends. The nonos dAck I had before was refined but didn't have dynamics (especially halfway through a charge). Ditto with the Trigon on battery mode, although with the Advance phono, its idiosyncracy on dynamics doesn't seem to be during "ascent," but rather, on "descent" (or, pun intended, not during "advance" but rather, "retreat," hehe).

If one were to visualize a dynamic swell as waves upon a beach filled with sand pits, the Trigon's waves would wash in normally but while pulling back, you suddenly notice these holes/pits. So sonically, a complex decay could sound uneven, certain combinations of frequencies attenuating faster than should be normal. Perhaps this is a question of power reserve? I'm not sure.

Another weakness of the Trigon is you hear a definite solid-state character-- grain, if you will, albeit fine, but it is there. If the Lehmann Black Cube can be considered an entry level phono, then this would qualify as sophomore. And while the P75 is much better on the Dyna XV1s, the Trigon is better running the Allaerts.

On the other hand, the Altmann's strengths really derive from a combination of features-- (car) battery power + upsampled input + jitter elimination + vibration "management". Before I bought it I asked an owner who was running his Altmann using a custom SLA rig from a popular modder and he admitted not realizing full benefits (dynamics). The manufacturer himself said-- "The Attraction DAC runs on 12Volt DC. You can use any DC wall adapter to power the DAC, then you just listen and realize immediately the reason, why the Attraction DAC should run from battery..."

My best bang for buck "upgrade" was dedicated power lines for my system back in Manila.

I really should ask my apartment super if I can do this but I never ever see the guy, lol.

There is a sense of silence and cleanliness listening to my Red Wine Audio modified Slim Devices Squeezebox or even my MP3 players.

I'm not familiar enough with the Squeezebox, what's the highest rate you can send out digitally?
Last edited by ttommy on Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby rtsyrtsy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:45 pm

ttommy wrote:I'm not familiar enough with the Squeezebox, what's the highest rate you can send out digitally?

I'm not sure what you mean by highest rate.

Are you asking if the Squeezebox does upsampling?

I don't think so. What it is capable of doing is linear sample rates from 1Hz - 655350Hz in 1Hz increments. I don't think it adds any more bits the way upsampling does.

Are you asking about the compression bit rate?

I listen to my SB using FLAC lossless compression format. There is not bitrate attached to FLAC since the way it encodes is it looks for strings of 1s or 0s. When it sees a string like 111111 for example, FLAC encodes it as six 1s.

Hence, the amount of compression largely depends on the track you are compressing. Noise would be encoded as lots of 1s, silence as lots of 0s.

Pardon my technical ignorance. This is as much as this non-engineer could swallow.
rtsyrtsy

Postby ttommy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm

Are you asking if the Squeezebox does upsampling?

Yes, did some reading, the specs seem to indicate it only outputs 44.1 and 48khz.
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby Noel » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:00 pm

Good review, thanks. Sounds like the superlative pro and non-pro reviews of the Altmann is well deserved.

Aside from battery-power operation, I think a key part of its apparent amazing performance is the elimination of hook-up wires - like the input/output/power jacks seem all soldered direct to PCB. Something that could not otherwise be achieved in a neatly boxed DAC.

I would love to try this myself but you have to admit it is not easy to get over the looks and the battery.

Noel
Noel
Citizen
Citizen

Postby keith » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:36 pm

as always tommy ... great read :-D
keith
walastick

Postby mcrespo » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:08 am

Hey, ttommy- any new thoughts regarding the Trigon phono stage?
mcrespo
Citizen
Citizen

Postby ttommy » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sorry it's been busy doing work behind-the-scenes for the upcoming RMAF, even if I'm not going, still had to help with some chores.

Aside from battery-power operation, I think a key part of its apparent amazing performance is the elimination of hook-up wires

Astute observation, Noel, I agree. And thanks Keith. And yo! mcrespo, why would you be interested in reading more about the Trigon? Should I say uhh.... it'll bring out the acoustic soul of your Te Kaitora? :lol:

Just kidding, actually, it's a good stage and I'd love to compare it with, say, the Graham Slee Gold or Black Cube Decade. But if you're wondering whether the Advance punches above its weight class the same way the P75 does in enhanced mode... the answer is no.

In a way, the battery option of the Trigon should be thought of as just that-- an option. This feature doesn't necessarily elevate the performance of the Trigon and now I'm inclined to think that in this phono, battery-mode "at best" might just be as the equal of running through regular power. In other words, the Trigon's character appears independent of the battery feature. Oh well. This gets backup status, I'm not necessarily attached to it and perhaps the battery game among phonos doesn't really start to pay dividends until one looks north of the Sutherland. So fuggedaboudit ;)
ttommy
Citizen
Citizen

Postby mcrespo » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:42 am

ttommy wrote:Sorry it's been busy doing work behind-the-scenes for the upcoming RMAF, even if I'm not going, still had to help with some chores.

Aside from battery-power operation, I think a key part of its apparent amazing performance is the elimination of hook-up wires

Astute observation, Noel, I agree. And thanks Keith. And yo! mcrespo, why would you be interested in reading more about the Trigon? Should I say uhh.... it'll bring out the acoustic soul of your Te Kaitora? :lol:

Just kidding, actually, it's a good stage and I'd love to compare it with, say, the Graham Slee Gold or Black Cube Decade. But if you're wondering whether the Advance punches above its weight class the same way the P75 does in enhanced mode... the answer is no.

In a way, the battery option of the Trigon should be thought of as just that-- an option. This feature doesn't necessarily elevate the performance of the Trigon and now I'm inclined to think that in this phono, battery-mode "at best" might just be as the equal of running through regular power. In other words, the Trigon's character appears independent of the battery feature. Oh well. This gets backup status, I'm not necessarily attached to it and perhaps the battery game among phonos doesn't really start to pay dividends until one looks north of the Sutherland. So fuggedaboudit ;)

Interesting. I've never heard a battery based phono stage and since I love the Ack dAck, I figured- why can't it be good on phono. I guess I was wrong.
mcrespo
Citizen
Citizen

Return to ttommy's corner